28 August 2014

Elmore giant - WIP 2

Hopefully, this will appear in the wilds of the blogosphere on Thursday if I've managed to set this up properly. I'm off in Northumberland enjoying (I hope!) a last spot of family holiday before term begins and am trying to have a "screen-free" few days. No internet and no TV. If you see me post on the G+ or FB groups, or on the forum, you'll know I've cracked! Anyway, content:

I might have mentioned that his fellow is big, but I still can't get over how much brushwork is required to do a single layer of flesh tone. At least, not when I'm trying to do so neatly! This is going to take a while...

Progress since last update:

  • base layer of flesh, including on the pigs (Foundry Flesh 5A)
  • washed flesh (mix of GW wash Ogryn flesh and Foundry Flesh 5A)
  • base layer on shirt (Foundry Moss 29A)
  • base layer on shoulder armour (Foundry Bronze Barrel 105A)
  • base layer on teeth and finger nails (Foundry Boneyard 9A)
  • base layer on eye balls (Foundry Boneyard 9C)




Oh, and see that little fellow in amongst the brushes in the last picture? He became my thief figure for an upcoming dungeoncrawl game that Erny is due to host for the OGRE group of Oldhammer gamers in East Anglia. I'm looking forward to it hugely!

Rab

10 comments:

  1. Looking good! Just to keep going, because he looks like he'll take a while!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, I'll stick at it, although I can't guarantee progress will be uninterrupted by other figures that catch my attention. I've been rummaging to find suitable henchmen for my thief...

      Delete
  2. are you going to count the number of paintpots you're using on that one?

    Biggest model I have must be the maruader giant but this one is something else ! take your time, you will only paint it once so enjoy the process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JB, I am enjoying it but I have to admit I'm looking forward to getting on to some of the detail.

      I'm not counting up paints as such (although I probably will now!), just keeping track of what I use in case I particularly like an effect I produce.

      Delete
  3. The Elmore painting he is from is one of a number of favorites. Unlike some I have a soft spot for 2nd ed Adnd and all the Elmores therein.

    Are you aiming to paint him to look like the giant in the picture or go your own way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll find it difficult to stray too far from the picture as it's just so good! The painted example on the back of the box is also pretty darn fine.

      Delete
  4. I can feel my painting motivation waining just looking at this beast. I better avert my eyes now, before it's too late. It'll be worth it in the end......just keep telling yourself that, otherwise you'll never get it done :D

    Seriously though, it's lookin good so far, it'll be a sight to behold when it sets foot on the battlefield.

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No! Don't be discouraged! This is going to be more of a marathon than a sprint, admittedly, but it's so big that I almost feel I have permission to be "unfaithful" to it and get on with other projects as the mood takes me.

      Delete
  5. Flippin' jaw droppin'ly gorgeous work and a great mini................ if you can call it a mini, he's a whooper and no mistake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave! As for being a whopper, he certainly is - if nothing else I can assault my opponent with it if he forgets that "it's not a competition" ;)

      Delete