21 September 2014

Elmore giant - WIP 4

So it turns out that a black background works well for photography... as does "borrowing" my six year old son's camera, which is distinctly better than mine thanks to a rather indulgent grandma!



As part of my record of this project (which I'm now thoroughly enjoying after the early grunt-work of getting good coverage with the first flesh layer), the paints used were:
  • Foundry Boneyard triad (9A, 9B and 9C) for the teeth and fingernails
  • Very thin Army Painter Soft Tone ink wash over teeth and nails
  • Various combinations of Foundry Flesh (5B and 5C) for the highlights, including an incredibly thin layer of pure 5C and water to bring the highlights together
  • Almost water layer of GW Ogryn Flesh wash over the skin to bring back the wrinkles and crevices to visibility
  • Foundry Musket Stock Brown (72C) as the base for the hair
  • Wetbrushing and drybrushing of the hair with Foundry Tan (14B) and increasing amounts of Foundry Base Sand (10A)
  • Wash of Army Painter Soft Tone ink on the hair
  • Foundry Spearshaft triad (13A, B and C) and Army Painter Strong Tone ink as a wash on the club
  • Foundry Tan 14B mixed with Foundry Yellow 2B to give the irises a little 'pop'
I forgot to add a white dot to the pupils to make them look shiny and alive, but otherwise I'm really happy with how he's coming along. I'm also glad I followed Erny's injunction to stick with the brown hair of the painting this model is based upon. I'll save grey for some of the furs he is wearing.

I hope you have a good week ahead of you,
Rab


10 comments:

  1. wow, that is really coming alive...................... top job and can't wait to see it progress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really thought I'd wrecked it when I did the pale flesh wash, but it's turned out as I wanted it.

      Delete
  2. Great work - I've found a little dash of gloss varnish on large eyes gives them a nice realistic shine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a rather lovely model. Can't wait to see some 'action' shots of him trampling Brets when he's finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gareth - he's gonna be tramplin' everybody when he's done!

      Delete
  4. I'm impressed by the result taking shpae like that. You're on to one kille rmodel ! Someone is planning on winning a competition at BOYL 2015 ;)

    Every new post is stunning, keep on this excellent path Sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too kind, JB! I do think he's turning out the best I've painted so far.

      Delete
  5. Looking great Stephen! One word of advice though... take a look at the nails. =) A model that large deserves proper nails, instead of finger-teeth. =D In other words, slightly pinker than skin-tone on the nail plate, with a much lighter lunula and finally a whiteish distal edge.

    Nail lingo courtesy of wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nail_(anatomy)

    This is the GEEKLY digest, after all. =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, dammit, phreedh - you're right. I can't really get away with claiming they're claws on this fellow so I'd better get that sorted. A geek's work is never done! :)

      Delete