8 February 2015

LAF resurrection project (gladiators) - 2

Hoo-aah! I've broken my painting drought with my first painted model of the year, first painted 54mm figure, and first figure for this project - a thracian (or thraex) ready to strut his stuff on the arena sand.





I'm rather pleased with him, especially the duskier skin tone (Foundry Dusky Flesh triad) which has turned out better than I feared two-thirds of the way though. The only camera comment I'll make is that the flash in the first picture makes the almost invisible roughness of his loincloth look as pitted as the surface of the moon - it really isn't!

Best wishes for a gentle week,
Rab

8 comments:

  1. Figure looks great. BTW did you get a Medieval Bestiary for Christmas?
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TGM :)

      Actually, I got two bestiaries for Christmas; a proper medieval one ("Bestiary", by Richard Barber) and "A Tolkien Bestiary" by David Day which is chock full of Ian Miller and John Blanche illustrations. Luvverly!

      Delete
  2. Looking great! He looks like he's about to crown someone with his shield.

    Frank
    http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the plan - exactly as a buckler gets used in some medieval treatises. Kerpow!

      Delete
  3. Smooth work my friend! Can't wait to see 'em all painted and scrapping in the arena.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gareth. The murmillo is in progress, as is the retiarius. I'm having a little trouble pinning the forearm of the secutor, but he'll be number four - then on with the arena.

      Delete