21 August 2015

Gaming table - part 3

Wow, there turned out to be a lot of junk getting in the way of reorganising the cellar around my new table! I've treated and painted walls (well the ones behind where my stuff will go, the rest will have to wait for a sort of rolling treatment), cut my painting desk in half so it would fit in an alcove, moved bookcases (unloading and reloading two small bookcases revealed several books I thought I'd lost), and even mounted the first of three swords that will go on the walls.

Ok, I know I still need to clear out the spiders' webs hole behind the cellar window.


This sword has had a hard life.  It came to me via one of my brothers, who was given it by a wheelchair-fencer we both knew and trained with in our early teens. I think I matched it with the 1857 pattern British Royal Artillery officer's sword (which is the same as the 1822 Light Cavalry sword  but with a less pretty hilt wrap, unofficially adopted by the RA from the 1840s) but it has suffered some less-than-sympathetic alterations since then; one of the side curls on the hilt has been cut off and two small holes drilled through the blade. Dreadful! I have tried to make the best of this vandalism and nailed it to the window-frame (doubtless why it was chopped about in the first place).

Anyway, swords to one side, here's the reorganised bit that is now all mine, just for geeking in!

The tidiest my painting desk has ever been!

And then the table in its natural habitat, with an old GW grassmat temporarily in place until I get terrain boards sorted. Speaking of which, can anyone recommend a fairly cheap source of blue/pink/extruded foam? I don't think I can be looking in the right place...

Surely everyone has a well-used large medieval heater shield to cover their tumbledryer, right?

The rest of the cellar is still very much what you'd expect for a small family: cot beds (ready to go to parents' loft), folders with mortgage and insurance documents, random pots of old paint, clothes dryer, hoover, guitar, beer, pair of swords...



That'll do for now as I have antipixi coming over to christen the table in half an hour with some Inquisimunda and maybe some X-Wing if there's time.

TTFN,
Rab




6 comments:

  1. Looks lovely! Please do take tons of pictures of your games!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to, but got caught up in it. They'll be up tomorrow morning.

      Delete
  2. Looking good, I'd love a nice size gaming table :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not quite The Siege table in size, but it'll do me and the ankle-biters proud, I reckon :)

      Delete
  3. Very nice set up, I'd just be a bit concerned about how secure the nail is that's holding up the saw above your painting space...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And fear not, that nail is going nowhere.

      Delete